Corporate response


Every time I tell someone that I will be circumventing the world for the blue planet foundation initiative, the response most always is congratulatory, followed by some elaborate explanations and then a final question: “What about your job”? Most certainly a fair question to ask and one I often have contemplated myself prior to the acknowledgement of my participation in the blue planet run. Fortunately for me, I work for Akzo Nobel, a Dutch multi national not unfamiliar to corporate social responsibility and an organization that over the years has done much to support local communities on all five continents.

Although, not an automatic “shoe-in” the company responded with a justifiable three months leave of absence, if a temporary solution could be found for my vacated job during my absence. Elated with the response we found lots of support and willingness from my employees and other corporate citizens and I feel very good about the final arrangements. And so after the Memorial Day holiday I start my LOA, leaving behind a great group of co-workers who undoubtedly will keep an eye out for me at work and on the rocky road ahead. And thus I thank Akzo Nobel and all my friends and colleagues locally and globally for their grandiose interest and magnificient support!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are all so proud of you, Rudy and you are spurning me to do something socially responsible (other than recycling, that is!)! You are an inspiration to us on the job, and as a humanitarian..Bon Voyage et Courage!
~Trish